Wings

If you are a guy reading the title, you're probably salivating at the thought that you will get to read all about those delicious, sticky, saucy chicken wings and maybe get an award winning recipe for at least one kind.  Keep on reading.  It's not about filling your stomachs....sorry.
 
I've always had a tremendous love and respect for powerful and courageous women.  It might surprise you that I'm not talking about CEO's, government leaders, and the like.  I'm talking about women who know who they are, what they believe, and make things happen in their lives and others within those bounds.  I'm not a feminist in the world's point of view, but I am more of a woman's advocate in the sense that we can do more to increase the confidence and self-awareness in women and girls that they can work miracles in their lives and in others as well, that they are strong, capable, and monumental individuals.  My favorite women in the scriptures are Mary and Esther and the mothers of the Stripling Warriors.  I have always admired their faith, dedication, courage, fortitude, perseverance, and all of those admirable qualities that make good people great.  I have also admired how much they stretched themselves to be more than they were yesterday; they gave themselves wings and a some around them encouraged it.  They were a significant encouraging element in the lives of others because these qualities.  They changed and protected nations.

Another of my woman supporting ideas are wings.  One of the greatest lessons in life I've learned is that every single one of us has been given gifts, skills, talents.  We can be given more as we develop and use each one to make life grand.    Do you remember the parable of talents. click here If you don't use them and try to gain increase, they can be taken away.  If you use them even a little, Heavenly Father adds to them.  When women don't value who they are, or what they can do, they rob themselves of their power.  One of my pet peeves is when a woman has either never tried something or only once and then says, "I can't do that," and then doesn't (guys, too).  My grandmother told us once of a regret she had.  She had gone to a crafting event with other women at church at a younger age, was not very good at it, and then never went to another one.  Years later, as a senior, she finally dragged herself, albeit reluctantly, to another one after some encouragement.  She tried another type of craft...LOVED it and was good at it.  She regretted that she had made that decision long ago and could have had something, and possibly other things, she loved to do throughout her life and shared it.  Now she faced blindness, and the loss of pursuing many of them even at that time.  She had clipped her own wings.  Women are the molders and shapers of nations through their love and dedication to their families and those around them.  This love is what drives them to want to offer an amazing world to their children.  When you doubt what you can do, tell yourself it won't work, and all of the other pull yourself down lines, you sacrifice, at times, the blessing of developing more of who God meant for you to be and what those skills may have brought.  Your children see that.  Is that the example I wanted to be...not in the least!

In the zoo where we live, they have a unique enclosure with an eagle.  The majestic bird sits perched on his short tree for all to admire.  However, one of his strong, feathered wings, due to an injury incurred sometime in his past was clipped.  He could not fly.  I was so sad for him.   I'm sure he felt conquered and stifled.  This glorious creature was created to soar.  Anyone who watches an eagle in flight rarely is not taken aback by the sight of the beauty of the bird.  The eagle is one of the most admired as strong, regal, elegant, majestic, and endless other descriptions of all in the animal kingdom.  I have often related this eagle to myself and others on the subject of wings.


I had a great childhood, but I'll admit that there were times that I felt like I was held back, not allowed wings, or clipped a little.  Some of that was parental protection or lack of a way to go forward, but some were the results of the beliefs from those that could help me pursue those ideas that they were silly and frivolous and were expressed as such.  I didn't like that feeling in the least, and at times felt helpless to move forward in something that meant a great deal to me.  I love the statement from Dr. John L. Lund that many times we need to "let reality kill the dream" and not be the dream killer ourselves.  Of course safety and money and a few other things might need to squash or postpone an idea, but for most things...reality will provide valuable insights and lessons for the dreamer, who then alters and adjusts their dreams.  Over the years, I have fought hard for my own dreams and LOVE having wings.  Wings have brought on daring to dream larger, loving who I am, knowing I can do hard things, courage, strength, an increased knowledge in how much my Heavenly Father loves me, confidence, new gifts and talents, the ability to better use my time (although that one could still use some significant tweaking).  I know I can do whatever the Lord puts in my path...and He'll always help me find a way to achieve it.  Not only that, but He can use me in wider areas as I develop more and more those new skills and talents.  Wings are amazing.  My husband has been a tremendous ally in this...not to say he hasn't raised an eyebrow here or there and never made a comment, but he has still never tried to stop my pursuits.  I am truly blessed that my wings are important to him...and even a priority to him.  I recognize that not everyone has that.  Gratitude for him in this area from me is pretty immense.

I love my talents and my gifts and my skills.  I love how I can bless my family and the world around me; I can serve more specifically at times.  I love the confidence to try new things that a success in one or two things can provide.  I love feeling a closer connection with my Father in Heaven as I use them in a way that is pleasing to Him.  In short...I am closer to who He wants and needs me to be as I spread my wings and fly.

I think my desire for others to find and use their wings amplified after the birth of my children, but most especially my daughter.  Having my children almost made me a stalwart (not as vocal as some) that I, and they, champion who they are to become.  I decided that I wouldn't tell them their dreams were silly or ridiculous, but encouraged and supplied some and let others go where they would go, offering advice here and there.  I let them try a wide variety of things and watched for areas that I felt could develop into something.  It was much later that I came across Dr. Lund's quote which more perfectly expressed my feelings.  I have not been perfect, but I have tried.  I have squashed a few, and delayed a few because I thought I knew better, some of which I tremendously regret.  Lesson learned...I moved forward.  So...we had kids who collected "scales" which were really just rocks (never have figured out how some were scales and some were rocks), wanted to be a singing star, work in outer space, have 20 kids in 10 bunk beds and live in Hawaii, go on America's Got Talent as a couch acrobatic (among the hundreds of talents he had on his list that he was good at- he literally had a list), and some more interesting and some more realistic ones.  What was the result?...well, the "scales" are gone, singing for pleasure is there (although I do see some self-doubt at times with this talent from this child), a young man has extreme confidence that he has talents, a son who wanted to take art who's ability up to that point made us think, "Are you really sure about that?" has blossomed into one of the top artists in his state, competing in multiple competitions and winning various awards, a daughter for who we bought a nice used camera and whose talent has blossomed into a growing photography business and career choice, a son who took the long, challenging road in school because HE "knew" he could and was hugely successful, a son who has faced multiple challenges in his life and is currently in a leadership role... a skill with which he struggled in the past.  I may have kept doors open, and provided various means of support, but that allowed them and the Lord to create and shape the beginning of masters in those areas. 

When my daughter announced she'd met a wonderful young man with whom she had decided to spend eternity, I admit, one of my first thoughts was "Will he let her fly?  Or will he hold her back?"  My dreams for her, and my sons, will never change...let them soar all the way to Heaven, and become amazing along the way.  I wanted him to leave open the way for her to blossom into the amazing woman she is so entitled to become.  Let her become the best example of womanhood for her daughters and her sons.  Let her be blessed with ALL she can have to more specifically serve where He would have her serve.  Let her become the person she is meant to be.  He should be her greatest champion now...with me as a close second (my prerogative...I gave birth to her).  Would he and my son's wives go the distance on this for them?  That is one of my dreams...and I believe it can be a reality.  I'll give them a mother's glare if they don't.  There are enough stumbling blocks in life without your spouse being one of them.  Sheesh...I'm trying not to cry just typing this paragraph.

What do I also know?  These gifts and skills and talents come from Heavenly Father.  We do Him and others a disservice when we are not fostering dreams and watching for emerging talents and helping them develop, for ourselves and others.  Who knows where we would have gone with unexplored skills and talents?  Who knows how we could have been used in someone elses' life had we developed a specific skill?  I'm not suggesting spending a life's fortune on it, but there are times where, as a parent, a spouse or on my own, I have had to make some sacrifices for those ideas and pursuits.  And, I've learned that a pursuit that brings in nothing but joy is just as important as one that brings in new skills for a job.  You have to look at it as an investment (like my daughter working to earn money for more camera equipment for her photography and my husband taking certification classes to get him better placed in his industry).  The learning process my children have experienced alone has been valuable in learning to discern what to pursue and what to leave behind or change, how to make their goals a reality, and the joy on the other side of the journey.  For example, one son has chosen to have art be his hobby and pursue it on the side of a career involving another talent in math/science while another son chose a career that uses art as the main ability in the career.  I also appreciate the idea that something they know how to do blessed another.  It is priceless...even if that talent is smiling at others and making them feel important as they come in contact with them.

I'm sure my kids still have some pretty lofty dreams...I know at least one does.  They will have others through the years.  I hope that those in their lives (spouses, friends, and myself) will never clip their wings.  At a minimum, I hope that they are supported in their talents and the like.

So...if you haven't spread your wings in a while...find something and fly around.  Let your spouse and your children know you want them to fly, and help them do it.  The view of the world is so spectacular when you can fly.

Comments