"How else are you going to get back home?": Introduction

Introduction

A while back someone I'd met just recently shared a personal story with the group we were in that has never left me; in fact, it has been a constant source of strength and inspiration to me, and to my husband, who was also there.
 
She had set a goal to run 5 miles on a particular day.  For her, at this time, it was a little bit of a reach, not a tremendous one, but more than she had done before.  About half way through this run she began to just shut down.  Her mind began to doubt and struggle with what her body was saying, "What are you doing?  This is more than I'm used to.  I'm just going to start the stopping process here since you aren't."  Listening to that body, she did stop, halfway to her goal, which was to end back at home.
 
She began texting her parents, wanting badly to finish her goal, but not having the personal strength at that time to do it. She began asking for words to help her finish, motivation to start running again and not quit.  Her mother, immediately began texting her many words of encouragement.  These were great, but not really the full motivation that she needed.  After several texts from her mom, her father finally sent his one and only text..."How else are you going to get back home?"

No fluff, no long monologue, no Rah! Rah! Rah!  Just simple words that spoke miles, the rest of the miles home, in fact, for her.
 
Those words struck everyone in the group.  I have since spent a great deal of time reflecting on that matter-of-fact question.  It has been a joy to find many truths and unrealized potentials because of nine words.
 
I will blog periodically about this.  I would like to share what I've discovered.  I hope it will be a blessing to you as well.

Comments