Graduation came and has gone. My daughter looked beautiful on her big day...the day she didn't ever think was going to get here. She stood tall (literally- she's 5'8" and had on at least 3 inch heels) and proud in her royal blue robe and tasseled cap. We spotted her walking in the procession of flowing blue robes on the opposite side of the monstrous building from where we were sitting....figures. Even worse, I thought my husband had the cameras, he thought I'd grabbed them from where he set them down at the house. Nope. Thank goodness others in our party brought theirs. As she walked, I started to feel that ever dreaded lump in my throat and the tears forming in my eyes, but I took a deep breath, and tried to force that lump away. The funny thing is I made it all the way through without crying, except when the National Anthem played. Later, my mom, who was there, told me that she only cried then as well. I guess we love our country more than our family...NOT... it just ended up that way. I loved watching my daughter enter and later do the ceremonial and traditional moving of the tassel and throwing of the cap. But, seeing her face when it was all done, glowing with joy and the feeling of accomplishing that important step, was the most rewarding thing of all. It's all just pomp and circumstance, but it represents so much more. It's a recognition of the hard work and diligence of the past and the bridge into the next part of her life. I think I'll remember her day more than my own. That's not just a cliche... because I really remember very little of mine. At least she has video footage.
Sitting next to me was my son who graduated last year. He's my oldest. I reflected on his graduation, and the fact that he, too, is leaving soon. Oh, how my family is growing up. Does anyone know a way to stop that? Bottle it and you'd be enormously wealthy. I mentioned to my mom, "I can't believe that I have kids old enough to be done with high school and in college." She quickly shot back, "I can't believe that I'll have three kids in their 40's this year." Okay, mom won that one.
I'm so happy for my kids. They have such amazing possibilities and opportunities in front of them. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Sitting next to me was my son who graduated last year. He's my oldest. I reflected on his graduation, and the fact that he, too, is leaving soon. Oh, how my family is growing up. Does anyone know a way to stop that? Bottle it and you'd be enormously wealthy. I mentioned to my mom, "I can't believe that I have kids old enough to be done with high school and in college." She quickly shot back, "I can't believe that I'll have three kids in their 40's this year." Okay, mom won that one.
I'm so happy for my kids. They have such amazing possibilities and opportunities in front of them. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Comments
Post a Comment